May 10, 2011

Bird Ballad #1: Red-Winged Blackbird

And, yes, if you were wondering, my last post did allude to a certain avian creature and a certain call, namely the red-winged blackbird, specifically this conk-la-reeee sound:

Lang Elliott - Red-winged Blackbird .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

All of which, of course, connects to a certain list.

You should have seen me there on that grassy knoll, trying to block out every other sound, listening listening listening to these few notes like they were a secret code to some all-important riddle I would later need to answer. Who knows! Maybe they are.

3 comments:

  1. I love that "listening, listening, listening" - the attentiveness to the moment. When nothing else in the vast world is as important as that singular sweet code.

    So glad you dropped by as it's given me the chance to explore your world as well. Loved your 'Deep Lake, Minnesota' in Orion and looking forward to more.

    Best wishes,
    Julian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian -- You can't know how happy it made me to imagine you reading my essay across the sea. It continually amazes me how the internet connects people and ideas.

    Thanks so much for hopping over and leaving a note. I'm eagerly anticipating your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the most territorial bird I've ever encountered, the redwing blackbird is source of constant amusement as I work in wetland often.

    The song as beautiful as you describe. Distinct, simple, elegant.

    ReplyDelete