August 16, 2011

Bird Ballad #3: ?

There is that bird again, the one I've been tracking for the past few weeks with my ears. I've become so accustomed to the barn swallows and red-winged blackbirds and robins and black-capped chickadees, that this song was something new and startling when I heard it, something sweet and genuinely melodic.

Dee-dee-de-da-de-dae.


I visited the DNR's interactive bird song page, scrolled through several Minnesota bird blogs, did my best to get a peek at the quick little thing, but I haven't been able to round up a name, color, anything but those six notes.

I just went to our piano and sounded them out the best I could on the keys. Remember those mnemonic devices your piano-teaching taught when you were learning to read music? Every-Good-Boy-Does-Fine, All-Cows-Eat-Grass, Please-Somebody-Help-Me? Well, I had to stand there for a few moments before those phrases came back, but when they did, this was the language I could speak and read:

High C, high C, B, G, A, E.


Does that mean anything to anyone? If not, I'll just have to keep my safari cap on. The little guy wants to be heard, clearly. And I want to say Hey.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps a recording that you could post would help. Cornell labs has a great, and I mean great, bird song identifying program. Check out http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1059 and see if you can find it.

    I wonder if my wife plays these notes on her flute if I can recognize the song. Probably not but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the image of M with her flute! I'm almost ready to take up some kind of instrument myself and play the tune on the street for strangers. :) I'll check out Cornell labs soon and hopefully replace that question mark with something a tad more specific. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete