This one will be short on descriptions, but long on heart. What I mean is: I have never been so busy in my life. What I mean is: the winter is cold, work is great, my son is beautiful, family is important, sleep is restless, and the lists are miles and miles long. Don't be mistaken -- this is all our doing, whether consciously or not. You see, we've gone and bought a house. A fixer-upper. We close tomorrow.
It's all about to get very very interesting.
So, friends, that, among many other reasons, is why I've spent less time here recently. However, it cheers me to know I can come back whenever I feel the desire. Like today. Like right now, as I type these letters into words and press publish, as I share something of my life, and genuinely hope you do the same.
Below is what I've been into these last three months (when I wasn't creating lessons and grading essays and signing documents and filing taxes and contacting contractors and building the biggest Mega Blok towers the world has ever seen, etc. etc. etc.).
How about you?
- O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
- Thomas and Beulah by Rita Dove
- Macnolia by A Van Jordan
- Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Fun Home by Allison Bechdel
- The Things They Carried - by Tim O'Brien
TV & Movies:
- Downton Abbey, season 4 -- Don't ruin season 5 for me, people! Just don't.
- Good People -- Pretty predictable plot, but still fairly entertaining.
- The Dark Matter of Love -- Fascinating story about international adoption.
- Marco Polo -- Because it was on Netflix, and why not?
Articles, Essays, & Posts:
Finds & Arrow Signs:
- Thumbtack -- Great website if you're planning on doing any kind of project that requires expertise
- Nextdoor -- Another website that's basically a social network for your local neighborhood
- Apostle Island Ice Caves -- Currently, I'm the travel-vicariously type. But if you can, go here! Then tell me all about it.