"This is My Oldest Story" in Creative Nonfiction's True Story

I'm happy to share that my essay "This Is My Oldest Story" has been published by Creative Nonfiction's True Story.

The title doesn't say it all, but it says a lot. With these words, I finally found a way to write about something I've been trying to process since I was eight: the abduction and decades-long disappearance of Jacob Wetterling, a neighbor boy from my hometown. Even though--as I discuss in the essay--I still have reservations regarding writing about Jacob publicly, I had another conversation with another stranger just yesterday that echoed much of what I explore in this piece: how for Minnesotans, there was "a time before Jacob Wetterling's kidnapping and a time after it," how the entire region was affected by this boy's loss.

Sitting with these memories now still reduces me to fear and anger and heart ache. Which is why I wrote about them. Which is why I think we all do better when we leave the solitary shadows. By telling stories--especially the hard ones--our sense of power comes back as we find we're not alone.


You can read an excerpt or buy the full essay here. And if you're from the Midwest, please consider sharing the link with your social circles. I really do appreciate your support.

Comments

  1. Hey! This iis my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and startinjg a new project in a community in the same niche.

    Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an remarkable piece of writing for all the online visitors; they will take advantage from it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Boy

Frozen Planet: Review and Giveaway

Sliding Doors: One Last Glance Toward Europe