"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


-- Robert Frost

Comments

  1. This Robert Frost poem brings back memories. I first learned it in the third or fourth grade as a song. Beautiful melody. Later I learned to appreciate the wonderful meter of the words. It has stayed with me for more than 50 years.

    Robert Frost, as you likely know, has a lot to say about the natural world and the people that inhabit it. His words are a luscious immersion at any time of the year, but especially on a cold winter evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love Frost. I actually visited the Frost cabin when I was out in New Hampshire two years ago. SUCH a lovely place. Very easy to see why he would have been inspired by the natural world.

    I don't know if I've ever heard this poem turned into a song, but if the melody matches the words, it's no wonder it's stayed with you.

    As always, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved this poem. Thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Boy

Frozen Planet: Review and Giveaway

Sliding Doors: One Last Glance Toward Europe